About the Furniture Project
The Furniture Project is a program that provides good, gently used furniture, such as beds, dressers, tables and chairs, to local households in need. The Furniture Project is managed and sponsored by the Habitat ReStore. Placement of the furniture is made through referrals from various Johnson County social service agencies. This partnership has benefited numerous families in Johnson County and diverted hundreds of reusable pieces of furniture from the landfill.
The Furniture Project is located at the East Side Recycling Center at 2401 Scott Blvd SE, next to the ReStore. Donation hours are Monday thru Saturday from 9 AM-5 PM and Sunday Noon to 5 pm through ReStore. Qualifying individuals with appropriate referral forms may select up to three pieces of furniture at the Furniture Project open houses on Fridays from 4 PM-6 PM on a first-come first-serve basis. All furniture items have a fee and participants can expect to pay anywhere between $1-$5 per item. Proceeds go to operation costs of the program.
Donate Clean, Gently Used Furniture
Furniture may be donated in one of two ways; by dropping off or scheduling a pick up. Please be aware that materials are accepted at staff discretion. Furniture is accepted if it is clean, in good structural condition, and aesthetically appealing. We ask that you call in advance if you have further questions about whether we accept specific items. All donations are tax deductible.
- You can drop off donations at the ReStore any time during our donation hours, Daily 9 AM-5 PM. Please call ahead if you have over-sized or bulky donations that may require assistance with unloading.
- Donors may call the ReStore at 319-338-5687 to schedule a pick-up. Because we use volunteer staff we must have all pieces on the ground floor or garage.
- If your family is in need of basic furniture, please visit one of the following social service agencies to obtain a referral form to get up to three pieces of furniture this year.
|American Red Cross
Case Mgrs. of Johnson Co. MH/DD & DHS
Community Mental Health Center
Coralville Family Resource Center
Elder Services, Inc.
|Family Resource Centers
Iowa City Housing Authority
Life Skills, Inc
Mid-Iowa Family Therapy Clinic
Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County
UAY Transitional Living Program
Veterans Affairs—Homeless Outreach
Vets Helping Vets
Visiting Nurses Association
- Families will be allowed three pieces of furniture; please work directly with your agent to determine which three items are of most need and mark your selection on the referral form.
- Please note that items will now cost between $1 and $5 each. We accept cash only. This fee must be paid during the open house before the items can be taken by clients. This fee is necessary for the ReStore to offset the costs of the program.
- Visit The Furniture Project (located at 2401 Scott Blvd SE, the East Side Recycling Center) during an open house to obtain furniture.
- Open houses will be held each Friday from 4 PM to 6 PM. Clients must bring their completed referral form when visiting the FP to select and purchase furniture.
Remember: The Furniture Project does not deliver or load furniture! Please come prepared to load items and haul them away. Furniture will be distributed on a first come, first served basis, and items must be taken that same day. Please call Wren at the Habitat ReStore with any additional questions: 319-338-5687.